- 1 large eggplant (may substitute whole wheat lasagna noodles)
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt, freshly ground black pepper and Italian seasoning to taste
- 1 sweet onion, shredded
- 1 green pepper, cored, seeded and shredded
- ½ cup zucchini, shredded
- ½ cup carrots, shredded
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 pound lean ground beef (may substitute turkey, chicken or vegan crumbles)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 (24-ounce) jar marinara sauce
- for cheese filling:
- ½ cup low fat cottage cheese
- ½ cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup fat free cream cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced fat parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- for topping:
- ½ cup reduced fat Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 and ½ cups mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel eggplant and slice lengthwise into thin pieces.
- Coat baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Place eggplant on baking sheet and lightly brush with extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Place in oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool.
- While the eggplant cools, preheat a large skillet over medium/high heat. When pan is hot, drizzle 1 to 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil and pressed garlic in bottom of skillet. When oil and garlic sizzles, add onion, green pepper, carrots and zucchini and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Then add meat of choice, salt and pepper, and continue cooking and crumbling meat until it is well browned and cooked through. There is no need to drain the grease if using a lean cut of meat.
- Next add marinara sauce to skillet and mix well with vegetables and browned meat. Let meat sauce simmer while preparing the cheese filling.
- In medium bowl, combine cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, Greek yogurt, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Coat bottom of lasagna pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place eggplant in the bottom of pan. Then add a layer of meat sauce. Spread the cheese mixture over the meat for the middle layer. Then add another layer of eggplant and meat sauce and top with mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until cheese on top is golden brown.
Lovin her Light Lasagna Cups:
ONLY 160 CALORIES!
Prepare recipe as you would for the Italian Stallion Lasagna (page 50).
- Using the larger 6-cup muffin tins, lightly brush extra virgin olive oil in each cup.
- Cut eggplant in half lengthwise and press it around the sides of each muffin cup. Fill bottom of muffin cup with about ¼ cup of meat sauce. Spread 1/3 cup cheese mixture over meat sauce. Then layer ¼ cup of meat sauce on top of cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle mozzarella and Parmesan cheese on top. Cook for about 20-25 minutes or until cheese is golden brown and sides are crispy.
If using lasagna noodles, boil noodles as directed on package and let cool. Cut noodles lengthwise in half and press each half noodle around sides of muffin cups and layer meat mixture, cheese mixture and meat mixture. Sprinkle mozzarella and Parmesan cheese on top. Cook for about 20-25 minutes or until cheese is golden brown.
*makes 6 lasagna cups