It seems as though every bug loves my sweet blood – I feel like Sookie on True Blood except the monsters biting me aren’t cool or handsome, they’re just bothersome, gross bugs. To keep them away I HAVE to wear some sort of repellant and because I don’t want to spray chemicals all over myself throughout the day I just make my own. Here’s my “BUG OFF” recipe:
What you’ll need:
- Spray bottle
- Distilled/Boiled Water
- Witch Hazel (you can find at grocery stores/pharmacies…tons of places, just gotta look)
- Essential Oil: The most effective are citronella, clove, lemongrass, rosemary, tea tree, eucalyptus, cedar, catnip, lavender and mint. I use more than one-Because i’m a bug magnet citronella is a must, then I just add another scent (usually tea tree, eucalyptus, lavendar or peppermint-I always have those on hand)
Perfect for ziplining :)
1. Fill spray bottle 1/2 full with water.
2. Add witch hazel almost to the top.
3. Add about 30 drops of essential oils. You can add more/less to get the strength and smell you like.